Description of Parent Executive Board Positions
(Last Updated August 2018)
Elections for open positions occur at our May AGM for the following school year. Consider joining our board! It's a fun way to get to know other Playschool families and influence your child's development first-hand. If you are interested, please send us an email.
- Coordinates all areas of the Playschool’s operational activities, within the parameters set out by the Community Association.
- Assists the Board and staff in understanding and carrying out their responsibilities.
- Is responsible for the Playschool staff’s contracts, as well as contracts of board-approved hired consultants, rental agreements and various contracts with outside agencies.
- Arranges and chairs all Executive Board and Annual General Meetings.
- Handles any issues/problems that arise in consultation with the teachers and other board members.
- Is involved in the hiring of staff with the assistance of a hiring committee.
- In consultation with the Board members, approves the yearly budget as proposed by the treasurer.
- Conducts executive meetings in the Chair’s absence.
- Is responsible for ensuring operating licenses are current and followed by staff and volunteers.
- Organizes and conducts inventory and clean up with executive parent volunteers and staff at year-end.
- Assists the Chair with evaluation of current staff and selection of new staff.
- Assists the Chair as necessary.
- Manages the hiring of and contracts for the cleaning needs of the Playschool
- Records and distributes the minutes of executive meetings, and Annual General Meetings.
- Maintains meeting minutes’ book for annual audit containing all correspondence, staff and executive privacy oath, monthly agendas, minutes, budget updates, class lists, as well as other information as required.
- Holds an updated version of the Community Association By-Laws, HHBHCA Playschool Policy and Procedure Manual and Parent Handbook. Prepares documents for modification and updates when necessary.
- Advise and report financial operations to the Executive.
- Track Playschool finances
- Responsible for payment/reimbursement of Playschool expenses and completion of bank deposits, under the direction of Chair and/or Vice-Chair
- Issue teachers’ salaries and families tax receipts in conjunction with Community Association Treasurer/Bookkeeper
- Prepare the annual budget.
- Prepare and support the annual audit of financial records.
- Liaise with bookkeeper & Community Association Treasurer to share role where appropriate.
- Establishes registration procedures in conjunction with executive members.
- Organizes spring registration, as well as ongoing registration throughout the year.
- Accept notices of withdrawal or cancellations and manages appropriately.
- Ensures registration information is complete for licensing purposes and provides updated class lists to teachers and the Secretary.
- Compiles registration packages prior to Playschool commencement (end of August/beginning of September) with all required information required by licensing.
- Ensures all families have verified their registration information in September and January (as indicated by licensing).
- Assists registrar as required (e.g. responding to parent inquiries, liaising between Community Association Executive Director and Registrar as needed).
Class Liaison/Privacy Officer
- Responsible for primary communication with classes.
- Prepares Sign-Up Genius for parent special helper sign up, ensuring each family has signed up appropriately.
- Responsible for distributing helper calendar to the classroom staff.
- Coordinates and monitors police clearances.
- Liaise with Communications and Marketing Coordinator to post event information as necessary.
Communications & Marketing Coordinator
- Manages the Playschool’s website, and social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Liaise with Class Liaison to post Playschool event information on website and social media sites.
- Disseminates information from teachers and parent executive board to Parents and other stakeholders through Playschool website and social media accounts as needed.
- Responsible for coordinating advertising campaigns throughout the year (primarily online).
- Responsible for determining most effective advertising venues in collaboration with executive members.
- Supports the creation of, sends out to parents and compiles mid-year and year-end Parent Survey with guidance from executive members.
- Plans and organizes documents and support for the annual Open House
Non-Executive Committees Coordinator (must be a returning parent)
- Organizes Non-Executive Committee member sign-up via Sign-Up Genius.
- Liaise between teachers and non-executive committee members to ensure smooth operation.
- Is an ex-officio member of all non-executive committees.
- Distributes non-executive job descriptions to parents and coordinates yearly updates.
Community Association Education Director (MUST LIVE IN-BOUNDS)
- Liaison between HHBHCA Playschool and HHBH Community Association.
- Presents Playschool report at HHBH Community Association Executive Board Meetings (2nd Thursday/month).
- Reports any relevant Community Association news at the HHBHCA Playschool Executive Board Meeting
- Liaises with Community Association to support Playschool operations/support – e.g. booking Community Association space for Playschool events, liaising with Communications Director of Community Association regarding advertising needs in the Community Newsletter
Past Executive Board Member (optional, non-voting)
- Offers assistance to executive members as necessary.