- To provide a play-based, enriching environment which encourages each child to develop socially, physically, emotionally, intellectually, morally and creatively
- To nurture self-respect, self-control, self-expression and responsibility for self
- To promote respect for others and the environment
- To inspire a love of learning by developing skills in language, reading, writing, problem solving, math, social studies and science through play
- To explore music, movement, drama, and storytelling in a relaxed, playful setting
The overall atmosphere of the classroom should be happy, stimulating and playful, enabling each child and adult to maintain a healthy, natural desire to cooperate and learn from each other.
Roots of Kindness
Each child is unique in their development, interests and temperament. Overall classroom management is rooted in kindness--we are kind to ourselves, kind to each other and kind to our classroom. Our teachers take an individualized approach to behaviour management with the ultimate goal of coaching children to navigate peer relationships with kindness and respect. The preschool years are a critical time for children to learn skills such as compromise, respect, negotiation, empathy and problem-solving
Our playschool has been in operation since 1970. It is a non-profit, parent-run cooperative affiliated with the HHBH Community Association.